Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Plastic Soldiers

Hey guys, Huron here again with an update.  Yeah I know, I have been gone a while, I have no good excuse.  I have been busy though, but I have not finish that much.  Instead I have been doing my usual thing of starting and getting involved with lots of projects.  I will be sharing some of them over the course of this week.  Also what do you think of my new avatar?  It will be showing up all over my profiles across the web this week.

So today I am going to share something not that new for me, but oh so new for the 15mm gaming experience... Plastic Models!

Two companies out there have made great strides in bring plastic models to the 15mm hobby.  Zvezda Models and The Plastic Soldier Company are both leading the pack, and luckily for me are both starting with Russians, my chosen army for Flames of War.

Today I am going to talk about the Plastic Soldier Company's models, as my Zvezda tanks have not arrived yet (Wednesday hopefully!).  So far there are 2 plastic kits out in the 1/100 or 15mm scale made by Plastic Soldier, a Russian Infantry in Summer Uniforms box and a T34 box.  The beginning of next month sees German models starting to be released with more options for Russians and Brits stuff coming this Spring and US kits out by the end of the Summer.  An exciting time.

So lets start with the T34 Tank Sprue.


As you can see, it has all the parts for one tank with both a T34/76 and a T34/85 turret allowing you to swap and mix and match as need, which is very nice.  And now some detail close ups.



 


Great sprue, lots of detail, and a good amount of stowage too.  The Stowage should allow me to add some to the Zvezda tanks I will be getting soon, which are all identical.  So next up I have some pics comparing a built Plastic Soldier T34 to a T34 from Battlefront (Flames of War).  The only draw back to the plastic T34s is that they are a bit smaller, but I am working on a base that should add some height to these minis making them fit very nicely with the other Battlefront vehicles I have.


 


Pretty cool looking, but definitely smaller then the Battlefront one, about 1mm in every dimension. I have lots of ideas about how to use these, they are cheap enough so that if I mod a few of them and mess them up it won't matter that much.  One of my first attempts is going to be mod up some SU-85s.  Lastly, the plastic tanks allow you to add some cool details that the Battlefront ones won't allow.  In this case I have glued a magnet inside the body of the tank so that I can magnetize some Tankodesniki on the back, as so.



So that is it, a great kit with lots of flexibility and potential that is also fairly cost effective.  Stay tuned as later this week I will be talking about the Russian Infantry plastics.  Here is a sneak peak.


Also to come painted version of these tanks as I am about half way done with my first 10.  See you next time.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up and critique of these plastic models.

    I own a boatload of Battlefront metal and a cheaper, plastic option would be most welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post dude. FYI the Battlefront tanks are taller on purpose, to account for the infantry being on bases; Although Battlefront now denies ever admitting that.

    Cheers,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts